Thursday, January 30, 2014

Prologue

Q: What does "The Quill and I" have in common with "The Canterbury Tales"?

A. Both begin with a Prologue. (Chaucer's is better.)

I thought about blogging in Middle English, in rhymed iambic pentameter couplets.  But then I realized that not only would this involve an enormous time commitment on my part, but that most of the readership for such a blog has either already been dead for seven centuries, or is presently too hard at work writing articles with titles like "A Comparative Analysis of the Uses of the Word 'Corrumpen' in 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knyght' and Geoffrey Chaucer's 'Troilus and Criseyde'" in the hope of obtaining a tenure-track position in the English Department of a college so obscure that the other 10,000 out-of-work English majors (like myself)  have not yet gotten around to besieging that department's hiring committee with resumes, boxes of bonbons, and offers to do their personal laundry if granted the favor of an interview.

I do love elongated sentences interspersed with the occasional parenthetical remark, don't you?

Welcome, Gentle Reader, and let's see where this will take us.  Here I blog; I can do no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment